Screenshot many a times known as a screencap or screengrab, is an image that shows the contents of a computer display exactly as you’re seeing it , to share with others for reference later.
Fer years ago Microsoft launched a new update for Windows 10, which included a new screenshot experience. Its finally time to say bye-bye third-party apps like ShareX and Lightshot have been leading the way in taking screenshots on Windows 10. I am sad to say, they can’t be missed any less.
Well without wasting your time let’s jump into the topic.
Here are few ways of how you can take a screenshot in windows 10
Method 1 : PrtScn key
The simplest way to screenshot your computer screen is to simply press the “Print Screen” key on your keyboard. It’s usually labelled “PrtScn” (or something very similar) and is located in the top row right corner.
On some keyboards (usually laptops) you might need to trigger the Print Screen using the Function key by holding the Function key and then pressing PrtScn.
Windows features quite a few PrtScn variations:
- Press PrtScn : It copies your entire screen to the clipboard. You can paste this screenshot into any program that displays images, Microsoft Word or Paint.
- Press Alt + PrtScn: It copies your active window to the clipboard, which you can paste into other programs.
- Press the Windows key + PrtScn: It saves your entire screen as an image file. You can find it in the “Pictures” folder, under a subfolder “Screenshots.”
Method 2 : Game Bar
You can always use the Game bar to snap a screenshot, regardless of you playing a game or not.
- Press the Windows key + G key to call up the Game bar.
- Click the screenshot button in the Game bar or use the default keyboard shortcut Windows key + Alt + PrtScn to snap a full-screen screenshot.
- The Game Bar generates the screenshots in PNG format, and saves them in “C:\Users\[your username]\Videos\Captures.”
- So Before you start using the Game Bar, launch the Xbox app that came with Windows 10 by typing Xbox game bar in the search box, and then select it from the search results .
- Open its settings, under “Game DVR”, toggle “Take screenshots using Game DVR,” and then assign it with whatever keyboard shortcuts you want.
Also Read : How to Install Windows 10
Method 3 : Windows Logo + Volume Down
If you’re using a Microsoft Surface device, you can use the physical buttons to take a screenshot of your entire screen -similar to how you take a screenshot on any other of your phone or tablet.
- To do this, just hold down the Windows Logo touch button at the bottom of your screen and hit the physical volume-down button on the side of the tablet simultaneously.
- The screen will dim briefly and the screenshot will automatically be saved to the Pictures > Screenshots folder of your device.
Method 4 : Take a screenshot by using an app
A - ‘Snipping Tool’
Windows 10 comes with a specifically designed application called ‘Snipping Tool’ to capture any screenshot. The app captures a screenshot and saves it directly as an image file without initially pasting it to another program.
- Select Start , type snipping tool in the search box, and then select it from the search results.
- The application opens with options such as ‘New’, ‘Mode’, ‘Delay’, ‘Cancel’, and ‘Options’
- To take a new screenshot using the same mode you last used, select New. Or, to choose the type of snip you want, select Mode, and then choose a capture mode. While making free-form or rectangular snips, use your mouse to select the specific area that you want to capture.
- Use the Save and Copy buttons at the top of the snip to save or copy you’re screenshot to the clipboard.
snipping modes are available in Free-form, Rectangular, Window, and Full-screen Snip.
B - Snip & Sketch
- The Snip & Sketch tool makes accessing, sharing and annotating screenshots comparatively easier than the Snipping Tool.
- The fastest and most convenient way to call up Snip & Sketch is with the keyboard shortcut Windows key + Shift + S.
- You can also find the Snip & Sketch tool listed in the alphabetical list of apps from the Start button as well as in the notification panel where it is listed as Screen snip.
C – Other Apps
- Free apps such as ScreenRec, Lightshot, Greenshot, ShareX, PicPick and Awesome Screenshot can be used to share your screen captures instantly and securely
- And If you have enough money to spend you can always use some paid apps such as Snagit by Techsmith.it is a top-notch tool that makes taking screenshots easy, has tons of features that would let you target specific windows, take region specific snapshots, and even capture the full text of scrolling windows like web pages.
Hope you enjoyed reading this article about How to take a screenshot on windows 10.
For any further queries or suggestions you can write down to us below or contact us here.